Kansas City Traffic Ticket Attorney
Traffic Ticket Defense in Kansas & Missouri
Have you recently received a traffic ticket or other violation? Wood Ikram Law Firm handles all types of traffic offenses, including both moving and non-moving violations, throughout Missouri and Kansas. Our Kansas City traffic offense attorneys will do what we can to keep your violation off your record entirely; if that isn’t an option, we can work to reduce or eliminate the number of points added to your driving record.
There are two main types of tickets and ways attorneys can handle them:
- Traffic tickets that require a court appearance
- Traffic tickets that do not require an appearance in court
Our lawyers are happy to handle either type of ticket on your behalf. When individuals attempt to deal with traffic matters by themselves, they usually must appear in court and may even miss work to do so. However, our attorneys can work around having to show up in court or can even go in your place, saving you the time and effort. Instead of paying your traffic ticket without contesting it or ignoring it entirely hoping it will go away, consult with an attorney. We may be able to offer alternative solutions that will save you time, money, or both.
Types of Traffic Offenses We Handle
Wood Ikram Law Firm is equipped to tackle many different types of traffic tickets and moving violations, such as the following:
- Distracted driving (including texting while driving)
- Driving without a license
- Driving without insurance
- Driving without working headlights
- DWIs (or DUIs)
- Failure to stop at a red light
- Failure to stop at a stop sign
- Failure to use turn signals
- Failure to yield
- Illegal lane changes
- Leaving the scene of an accident (“hit and run”)
- Reckless driving
What to Do When You Get a Traffic Ticket
If you get a traffic ticket for speeding, or other infraction, you may be feeling frustrated, angry, or stressed. Traffic tickets are inconvenient at best and distressing at worse, especially if you don’t have the time or money to deal with them.
However, it is better to handle a traffic offense one way or the other—and fast. If you have received a traffic ticket, we recommend doing the following as quickly as possible:
- Read the ticket carefully. It should include all the information you need, including how much you owe, when your fine is due, and how you can pay it.
- Never ignore a traffic ticket. Not doing anything about a traffic offense can lead to court appearances, increased fines, arrest warrants, and even time in jail—not to mention other additional costs, like having to hire an attorney after the fact.
- Instead of paying the ticket right away, explore your options. Paying a traffic ticket almost always causes your auto insurance rates to go up—and stay up—for about three years. Plus, fines can be expensive, and you’ll lose that money entirely.
- Consult with a lawyer. Due to their legal experience and familiarity with the nuances of local laws, attorneys have the best chance of getting a ticket dismissed or suspended, and they may be able to plead your ticket down to a lesser infraction that will cause little or no points to go on your driving record.
- Take care of the ticket. Once you have a better idea of your situation, you can choose whether to pay the ticket, hire an attorney to help you handle or contest it, or seek other alternatives if available.
Penalties for Traffic Offenses
A traffic offense is seen as far less serious than other criminal offenses like a misdemeanor or felony, and the punishments are relatively light in comparison. However, this does not mean you should ever ignore a traffic ticket, especially if you believe the offense was unjustly given. You may not have to serve jail time for speeding or running a red light, but tickets can come with expensive fines and there are other ways such an offense can affect you, such as increasing your insurance premiums. Ignoring a ticket entirely can result in extra fines, legal fees, warrants being issued for your arrest, and even jail time.
Why Hire a Traffic Offense Lawyer?
We will help you keep your record clean by handling all aspects of your traffic offense. Whether it was your first offense and we merely must make some calls and file paperwork, or you have prior traffic violations on your record and need additional assistance not incurring additional punishments, we will defend you. We can also help you contest tickets you shouldn’t have been given. Whatever the situation, Wood Ikram Law Firm will provide you with the legal advice and representation you need to handle your ticket in the way that works best for you.